Friday 2 October 2009

Welcome To The World Of Superman

Hello there, and welcome to the Word of Superman. This is an attempt to review and chronicle the adventures of Superman and his extended family in the DC Universe created in the aftermath of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

In general, this will follow core Superman titles - Superman, Action Comics, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel - along with the relevant volumes of Superman-featuring titles, such as JLA. As this blog progresses, I hope to cover spin-off titles, not only including ongoings such as the various volumes of Supergirl, Steel and Superboy, but any relevant one-shots and mini-series as and when they occur. Next, where the storyline from the Superman comics crosses over into other titles, either as a direct continuation, or where Superman or a member of his supporting cast plays a prominent role, those issues shall be covered. Also, there are several periods where larger events strike the DCU, the revered (and feared) company-wide crossover. In theses cases, I will cover the core issues of the crossover, even if Superman's role is a minor one in the grander story.

For a long period of time, the core Superman titles led into one another on a weekly basis. A story started in Action Comics would continue in Superman, follow on into Man of Steel, and progress further in Adventures. For these periods, the publishing order of the comics (and, where present, the triangle numbering featured on the covers) will be followed. At other times, each title, while supporting its fellows, would forge its own story for a few issues. At these times, I will follow that story through to its conclusion, or to a convenient break point in the narrative.

I am looking to place these stories in a reasonable chronological order. This may result in times when I am reviewing comics from many different publishing periods, especially, for instance, during the early years of Superman's career, where events depicted in the Man of Steel miniseries are expanded on in titles such as the Year One series of annuals, or the 1999 World's Finest miniseries.

As for what I will do with these issues... there will be a brief précis of each issue's plot, followed by a review. These will be my honest reactions to the issues. I harbour no agenda to glorify or denegrate creators, storylines, characters, crossovers, or anything else. I have a genuine interest in this era of comics and want to explore these, many of which have not been reprinted, and where the more notable trades are now out of print.

I'm looking forward to getting into these books, and I hope you'll come along for the ride.

1 comment:

  1. Damn, I admire your hutzpah for attempting to tackle the Superman storyline in chronological order. I'm definitely in for the long haul and hope to see you succeed.

    Years ago, I started a chronological database of every Superman issue from the Byrne reboot on that kept track of who, what, where, when, and why things happened from issue to issue. I only lasted for about 18 months worth of issues, so I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete